Thursday, November 30, 2006

Proof Reading's For Losers

Before I begin, I have to cite my source for the inspiration (and content) of this post: Kaitie. You're rad, Kaitie (CBIH). For those of you who hear me talk about her but haven't met her, you should; she's the best person you'll ever meet. And I know 'best' is thrown around way too much, but hang out with her for one night and you'll know what I mean. We're celebrating 20 years of friendship September 2007.

So---we were discussing our secret hidden snobbery: we're the grammar/language gestapo. So, because I so thoroughly enjoy compiling lists, here's a brief run-down of some of the most notoriously widespread misuses of the English language, be they in print or vocal form:

1. Seen. As in 'I seen her the other day.' No--you SAW her the other day. If you're saying this, my mental picture of you immediately transforms you into a Dr. Phil reifying Pilsner-drinker who thinks that calling someone from East Asia a 'Paki' is not politically incorrect, or that bragging that you 'Jewed them down' on your latest purchase is as unoffensive as saying 'I got a really good deal.' Philistines.

2. Your. This can only come up in a print format, such as emails or papers; ex: "Your such a nice person." No--YOU'RE such a nice person. This makes me think that you probably just don't pay attention to anything (a very, very dangerous quality on so many levels), and that you're (note the proper use) completely inconsiderate for making me sit through your poorly written emails/papers/etc. This becomes especially true when reading an email in which someone is insulting you, if any of you have ever recieved these (i.e.: your such a bitch for____________). Actually, I kind of like it when I get emails of this nature from people who clearly dislike me, 'cause it reminds me that I probably sensed their lack of awareness in the first place, and subsequently covertly tried to them dislike me so I didn't have to see them anymore.

3. Orientate; ie: 'we're being orientated this weekend;' 'I felt so disorientated.' What's hilarious is that I can't even count how many times I've heard very well educated people say this publically. I don't need to say more--it's obvious, isn't it?

4. To. As in 'this is to much for me to handle.' AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!! This one KILLS me. Besides generating the feelings outlines in number 3 (above), this makes me actually question the public education system, 'cause I can remember spending sooooo much elementary class time discussing this. Thus, it begs the question: who were your teachers?? If, however, they did teach this to you, then I have to again return to my note in number 3 about the complete lack of paying attention.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My personal dislike: improper use of the semicolon. It makes me cringe every time!

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html

Enjoy!

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home