Monday, January 15, 2007

This Just In: Traveling to a Mexican Resort Will Not Change Your Life

In a significant or powerful way, that is. I ran into a former co-worker today who informed me that her recent vaca to an exclusive Mexican all-inclusive resort 'changed her life' via 'immersing her in another culture,' even though she didn't leave the hotel compound. Hmmmmmmmmm....... After recently spending a fabulous, refreshing, and hilariously fun week in a similar place with a fantastic group of people (I miss you guys!), I'd have to disagree. And why? 'CAUSE YOU'RE NOT IN ANOTHER CULTURE IF YOU DON'T LEAVE YOUR RESORT!

Mexican resorts are predominantly comprised of either a) rich Canadians/Americans; and b) deeply in debt Canadians/Americans. So really, in traveling there, you're not meeting anyone who you wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet by driving a few hours (or.....minutes....). Moreover, I found myself--to my horror--frighteningly slipping into all too familiar conversations that I typically try to escape here in Canada with strangers on the beach ("what job do you have? Sociology? Is that like social work? What's grad school? Does it pay well? No? Then why are you in it?" Turn to my beach date: "Oh, you're a carpenter? Hahahaha, you should come to my house!! Hahahaha!! How much did you pay for your house? How much are the houses you build worth?" Blahblahblahblah).

Now, this is not to say that certain aspects of traveling in this nature won't change your 'life.' For example, you'll learn a lot about the people you're there with when you're thrown together 24 hours per day (which, in my case, was very positive), or you'll learn the value of chilling out with your family and friends at least once a year, because it IS very, very refreshing. And, if you do decide to quit being a bougie #$%@#, you can indeed venture out of the resort and experience some very interesting aspects of Mexican culture in the form of night life, food and scenery. However, in the case that you instead decide to park by the pool and sip fruity drinks (nothin' wrong with that!) will you learn mounds about global inequality, alternative cultural practices, and the nuances of a foreign language? NO! And, I'd like to point out that leaving your waiter 10 pesos does not, under any circumstances, make you some kind of humanitarian.

Oh, and on a brighter and less pensive note, and well in keeping with my aforementioned New Year resolutions, I've recently discovered the joys of 'Arrested Development' (Thanks Kaitie & Edmund! But...I have to disagree with the assertion that it's better than 'Curb.' Sorry guys, I think I just relate all too well to Larry). My favourite line so far? "I may have committed some light....treason."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home